What was supposed to be a dream Bahamas cruise turned into a nightmare that changed a young woman’s life forever.
Hannah Smith, a 22-year-old college graduate, says she lost both of her legs after a horrifying incident during a Carnival Sunrise cruise excursion — and now she’s taking legal action over the devastating ordeal.
According to a shocking lawsuit, Smith and her friend, Brooklyn Pitre, had booked a popular excursion to Pearl Island through Carnival’s app during the first day of their May 11 cruise out of Nassau, Bahamas. But the fun getaway allegedly spiraled into chaos after Smith claims she was served rum punch cocktails that had been laced with sedatives by staff members on the excursion boat.
The lawsuit alleges Smith became severely impaired and disoriented while onboard. Then came the terrifying moment that would alter her life forever.
While heading back from the island, Smith reportedly needed to use the restroom. Instead of helping her safely, staff allegedly encouraged her to jump into the ocean, even telling passengers earlier that “the ocean is your toilet.”
Moments later, disaster struck.
According to the complaint, as Smith entered the water, the boat captain suddenly activated the vessel’s propellers. Smith says she immediately “felt her lower extremities being sucked under the vessel.”
The injuries were catastrophic.
Her lower left leg was severed instantly in the brutal accident. Despite suffering unimaginable trauma, Smith reportedly managed to fight her way free using her remaining leg while her friend desperately pulled her back onto the boat.
By the time rescuers reached her, Smith had lost nearly 60 percent of her blood.
The lawsuit says she underwent a staggering 25 surgeries as doctors fought to save her life. Ultimately, her right leg also had to be amputated.
Now Smith is suing the excursion operators, Pearl Management Group and Sun Cay, accusing them of negligence and causing severe physical and emotional suffering. She is also suing Carnival Cruise Line, claiming the company promoted the excursion provider as a safe and trustworthy partner.
The disturbing allegations don’t stop there.
Smith’s friend, Brooklyn Pitre, has also filed her own lawsuit, alleging that a bartender on the excursion sexually assaulted her by groping her buttocks during the trip.
Carnival responded to the claims in a statement to the Daily Mail, saying: “Our thoughts are with Ms. Smith, and we wish her strength and healing. At Carnival Cruise Line, we continuously strive to keep our guest and crew safe as a priority.”
Meanwhile, the excursion operators have reportedly described the incident as a “tragic accident.”
The lawsuits are ongoing.
Discover more from Next Gen News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

