A man was arrested twice Wednesday after trying to break into Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s home in Los Angeles, the presidential hopeful announced Thursday.
The intruder was first arrested after climbing a fence at the home and later returned after being released on bail and levied a restraining order.
Kennedy was at home at the time of both attempts, his campaign said. No injuries were reported.
The candidate used the security threat to underline his attempts to receive a Secret Service detail. It is rare for presidential candidates who aren’t nominees of one of the two major parties to get Secret Service details, but Kennedy, who left the Democratic primary this month to pursue a presidential campaign as an independent candidate, argues that it’s necessary for him.
Kennedy has requested a Secret Service detail twice previously and was denied both times. His campaign applied for a detail for a third time Thursday, he said.
“Our campaign’s request included a 67-page report from the world’s leading protection firm, detailing unique and well-established security and safety risks aside from commonplace death threats,” Kennedy said after his first request was denied in July.