A shocking and brutal hazing incident in Georgia has left a teenager fighting for his life in the hospital. Trent Lehrkamp, a young man from Georgia, was dropped off at the hospital by some teenagers he had been hanging out with that night.
Upon arrival, he was barely breathing and had a blood alcohol level that was five times the legal limit, according to officials. He was also covered in spray paint and urine, and the other teenagers left before the authorities arrived to investigate.
Police have released a photo of the incident, which was taken that night. The image shows Trent passed out on an armchair, covered in paint and garbage, while a group of teenagers stand behind him, making obscene gestures.
His family claims that this was not the first time that Trent had been targeted by these so-called friends. A week before the incident, a video was posted on social media showing Trent being taunted by teens while being sprayed with a garden hose.
According to a police report, Trent’s father said that his son had repeatedly returned to hang out with the same group of teens. His family believes that this latest hazing incident was the culmination of a pattern of abuse.
“They knew what they were doing was wrong; they’re not children,” said Trent’s friend Cynthia Sykes. “Even children wouldn’t do something like this. This is heinous; this is crazy.”
Trent’s case has struck a chord with other families whose children have been victims of hazing. Danny Santulli, who was left severely handicapped after a frat party at the University of Missouri, is one such example.
Video taken that night showed Danny in a green blindfold with his fellow pledges, being told to finish an entire bottle of vodka in just a few hours. He suffered severe alcohol poisoning and was left unable to see, walk, or speak.
“It’s getting to be such an epidemic,” said Danny’s aunt Chrissy Prioleau, who now helps care for him. “You know, these kids are not learning. They’re not learning that what they’re doing is so harmful – and you can die.”
Trent is now off his ventilator and on the road to recovery. Police are investigating what happened that night, and a GoFundMe page has been created to help Trent’s family with medical expenses.
Hazing incidents like this should not be taken lightly, and the authorities must take a strong stand against such behavior. The senseless and dangerous actions of these teenagers must not be tolerated, and justice must be served for Trent and his family.