The Pentagon’s UFO office is investigating historic reports of mysterious objects interfering with key nuclear missile silos.
Two Air Force veterans told DailyMail.com they have testified to the All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) this month about their experiences of UFOs interfering with US nuclear missiles.
One email shows AARO staff contacted former US Air Force ICBM launch officer Robert Salas to gather information about his chilling encounter with an orange flying disc that inexplicably turned off 10 warheads at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana in 1967.
And another former officer, Dr. Robert Jacobs, has briefed AARO on a 35mm film he shot for the Air Force in 1964 that allegedly caught a flying saucer shooting a test missile out of the sky.
The accounts offer a rare glimpse into the often classified work of the government unit tasked with probing unidentified phenomena in the air, sea and space.
AARO director Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick is also interviewing nine other witnesses of similar cases, according to author Robert Hastings, who has previously spoken to 167 veterans regarding ‘more than a hundred UFO incursions at nuclear weapons sites during the Cold War era and beyond’.
Hastings wrote a book on the incidents called UFOs and Nukes: Extraordinary Encounters at Nuclear Weapons Sites.
In a blog post on Sunday, he revealed that he had been asked by Kirkpatrick to connect him with Salas, Jacobs, and other witnesses, after an unnamed Senate staffer read the book and recommended it to the AARO director for investigation.
Salas, 82, told DailyMail.com he was impressed by the outreach, after decades of having his account either ignored or denied by the government.
‘I’ve been wanting to tell a government agency my story for over 50 years,’ Salas told DailyMail.com. ‘It was a great big relief.
‘They were very magnanimous. They listened intently. I gave them a complete report on the Malmstrom incidents.
‘I’m more confident now than I was going in that they’re trying to make a sincere effort.’
One AARO staffer wrote to Salas on Friday thanking him for giving evidence to the UFO office, in an email obtained by news outlets.
‘I want to pass along a big “thank you” from the AARO team,’ the email said. ‘Your dedication to this issue and the resources, time, and energy you invested in researching and documenting your experience, and associated events, are greatly appreciated.
‘I’m glad we were finally able to document this accounting and evidence into the intelligence record and will include this information in our investigation as an authorized disclosure IAW [in accordance with] the FY23 NDAA [National Defense Authorization Act].
‘I’m hopeful the collective contributions of patriots like you and the current level of government interest and investment will provide answers to the questions the citizens of our country have demanded for such a long time.’
Salas gave an interview last year about his fury that Pentagon chiefs seemed unaware of the disturbing and unexplained shutdown of US nukes at his Malmstrom base when questioned about it in the public congressional UFO hearing in May.
Since then the 2023 NDAA, the annual defense spending bill, has been signed into law with an amendment requiring AARO to review government files on all UFO incidents going back to 1945 – explaining Kirkpatrick’s interest in the 1967 Malmstrom case.
The alleged Chinese spy balloon shot down by US fighter jets this month also flew near Malmstrom as well as other nuclear silos, reportedly triggering emergency security measures at those bases.
Salas tweeted about his email with the AARO official on Friday, and UFO researcher David Haith shared a copy of it on Twitter.
Hastings wrote in his blog post that he had a conference call on January 13 with Kirkpatrick, two other AARO staffers and a congressional researcher, and subsequently connected them with 11 veterans to give evidence of UFOs allegedly interfering with America’s nuclear defenses.
‘Since 1973, I have interviewed 167 of those veterans regarding their experiences,’ Hastings wrote. ‘Kirkpatrick asked whether I would be able to contact the individuals with whom I am still in touch, to learn whether they would be willing to testify before AARO staffers.
‘I suggested that Kirkpatrick’s staff first contact former US Air Force ICBM launch officer Bob Salas, who had been on duty during an incident at Malmstrom AFB, Montana, on March 24/25, 1967, when an orange, disc-shaped UFO had briefly hovered over the front gate at the Oscar Flight Launch Control Facility.
‘Seconds after one of Salas’ Security Police guards frantically called down to the launch capsule to report the UFO to him, all ten of the ICBMs dropped offline, one after the other. In other words, they were unlaunchable and it took several hours to repair and retarget them.’
Though an investigation was launched by the military and voluminous reports were compiled, no explanation was found for the missiles’ shutdown.
Salas and his colleagues said they were interviewed at the time by agents from the Air Force Office of Special Investigations and made to sign NDAs.
But in 1996, he broke his silence by authoring an article about the incident, and in 2010 Salas and other former military officials gave a televised press conference in Washington DC warning about the alleged dire security threat presented by reports of strange disks and orbs appearing to fly over US nuclear sites with impunity.
Jacobs said he was told to keep quiet about the footage by his boss, Major Florenze J. Mansmann (pictured), who viewed it with him in a meeting with two CIA officers in the days after the incident. Mansmann, who died in 2000, confirmed the account in a May 1987 letter to UFO researcher
Jacobs, another former Air Force officer who testified to AARO this month, was in charge of a telescopic camera team that filmed test missile launches at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California in the 1960s.
He claims that he reviewed footage of a September 15 1964 launch where a disc flew up to the moving missile, shot a series of ‘beams’ at it and sped away, causing the dummy warhead to topple out of the sky.
‘We watched the third stage burn out, and into the frame came something else,’ the former lieutenant, 84, said in a 2000 video interview.
‘It flew into the frame and it shot a beam of light at the warhead.
‘Now remember, all this stuff is flying at several thousand miles an hour. So this thing fires a beam of light at the warhead, hits it, and then it moves up… fires another beam of light… goes down and fires another beam of light, and then flies out the way it came in. And the warhead tumbles out of space.
‘The object, the points of light that we saw, the warhead and so forth, were traveling through subspace about 60 miles straight up. And they were going somewhere in the neighborhood of 11,000 to 14,000 miles an hour when this UFO caught up to them, flew in, flew around them, and flew back out.
‘Now I saw that. I don’t give a goddamn what anybody else says about it. I saw that on film. I was there.’
Jacobs said he was told to keep quiet about the footage by his boss, Major Florenze J. Mansmann, who viewed it with him in a meeting with two CIA officers in the days after the incident.
Mansmann, who died in 2000, confirmed the account in a May 1987 letter to UFO researcher Scott Crain, and said he watched the video four times before the CIA officers shipped it to an undisclosed location on the east coast.
‘I ordered Lt. Jacobs not to discuss what he saw with anyone because of the nature of the launch, the failure of the launch mission and the probability that the optical instrumentation (the film) showed an interference with normal launch patterns,’ Mansmann wrote.
‘The object was saucer-shaped,’ he added. ‘I released the film to the Chief Scientist’.
Jacobs told DailyMail.com he testified to AARO on February 10.
‘I found it to be the most sensitive, the most honest, the most welcoming interview that I’ve ever had regarding this subject,’ he said.
‘At the end of our chat, I said, “I’ve been trying for over 40 years to get the government to listen to my testimony.” And he said, “You just did.”
‘The government finally listened. I’m not sure who they’re going after next. But I have great faith in this organization, as much as I’ve had in any government.’
Hastings declined to be interviewed about his interactions with the UFO office.